Sunday, April 26, 2009

17th Annual Food Festival and Market

I just got back from the last day of the Food Market and festival at the International Centre in Mississauga. The crowds were huge, the samples were plentiful, and the cuisine was full of variety.

There was so much to do and see, it was very overwhelming at first, but I will contend that the free samples and goodies are well worth the price of admission.

Some of the highlights from the show for me were:
  • the parchment paper place: from my previous entries, it is clear that I LOVE parchment paper
  • Erich's bread: the staff was extremely knowledgeable about the bread and it was very reasonably priced; they also cram more fibre into a slice of this bread than I would get in an entire loaf of regular bread!
  • Tofutti: ice cream made from tofu - sounds gross but my husband didn't even know he was eating tofu until I mentioned it several hours later - I have to admit this was the BEST tofu I've ever had
  • Salba: I got a 3 day trial of Salba - similar to chia seeds and thought to be the new Superfood - I plan to follow the regime and post the results (if any).
  • Sauces/Mixes/Quick Fixes: I'm not really a fan of pre-made sauces but there were some very interesting ones available. The sauce from Canton had nothing in it that I couldn't pronouce so that was a great thing.

Overall, I had a great time at the show, but for next year, I've learned some tips to pass on to you.

  1. Make sure you bring some cash - there are some great deals but it's CASH ONLY!
  2. Bring a collapsable trolly (or a strong helper) - some of the products are very heavy and when you're walking around, they really start to wear on you.
  3. Get a map of the show area - this will tell you where the most interesting stands are located and also help you build a route to take you for the show.
  4. Arrive early for the cheese demos - there were always line-ups at the cheese stage!
  5. Don't bring a purse of anything bulky. It will only hold you down - pack as light as possible!

I hope to attend again next year and will post again before next year's show recapping the tips I've learned!

No comments: