Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stevia - Nature's Secret

We all know of the issues surrounding artificial sweeteners. Aspartame, the most common sweetener, is also considered by many, the most dangerous.

A couple years ago, I decided to look into Stevia, a natural sweetener. Since this time, I have primarily tried and used Swanson's Stevia and Stevia from Stevia Canada.

Here's the skinny on what I discovered. Stevia is a very powerful sweetener. The individual packages from Swanson's Vitamins contain enough of this super sweet leaf to sweeten 3 cups of coffee. At a cost of $4.49 (US) for 100 packets, this is great value for money.

There's only one hitch - the bitterness. While the Stevia plant (also called "sweet leaf") is extremely sweet, it also has a bitter aftertaste which can be very pronounced if used in larger quantities.

Overall, I'm pleased with stevia. I use it in my coffee in small amounts but it's not a full replacement for sugar. I usually still add a little sugar in my coffee too.

No comments: