Thursday, August 20, 2009

Attention Bargain Hunters - Scanner Price Accuracy Code may entitle YOU to free items!!!

I was at my local Loblaws yesterday. After realizing that the celery was limp and did not seem to be getting replenished anytime soon (par for the course with this location), I decided to make a simple pasta salad for dinner (cooked short pasta, olives, feta, tomatoes, Kraft aged balsamic dressing - the best bottled vinaigrette I have tried).

I needed to get olives and feta cheese. When I got to the cash, the price scanned for the feta cheese was higher than the sticker price on the shelf. I informed the cashier and after numerous attempts to get someone to check the price, I removed the ticket from the shelf myself (it will probably take them at least 6 months to replace the tag). Sure enough, the scanned price was higher than the ticketed price so I got my feta cheese for free.

Many retailers in Canada are part of the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code which entitles customers to a free item (up to $10) or $10 off an item if the scanned price is greater than the ticketed price.

However, it's been my experience that many people are not aware of this policy. I try to educate people when I notice the price is scanned incorrectly and I'm surprised that no one I have met in this situation is aware of the code.

Not all retailers participate in the practice so when you're shopping, make sure to look for a sign at the cash. It's a great way to save some money - and to keep the retailers on their toes!

No comments: