Monday, May 11, 2009

Food Brands Compete to Stretch Your Buck

I was reading this article in the New York Times about how major food brands are competing for your business. Kraft, Oscar Mayer, Lean Cuisine, Del Monte, and Chips Ahoy all have new ads aimed at showing consumers how their products can help you stretch your dollar.

The idea behind the advertising is to show consumers the value of packaged products. With more and more consumers becoming aware of where their money is going, these companies are trying to cash in on the trend by marketing value for money.

I’m all for saving money and getting value for my money. I also see the value in spending more money for better quality. But I don’t buy into this advertising scheme. While it may work for some consumers, it will not work for me! I like to know where my food comes from and I’m willing to pay more for what I consider higher quality.

I’m not a health freak my any means, but I do think that there is value for me to support small businesses who produce quality goods. To really save money, consumers should be more aware of what they are purchasing – who needs 5 bags of chips because they are on sale? Instead of buying those cheap chips, I can take my money and buy a container of Herbamare seasoning to use on the potatoes that I have.  This seasoning is made from sea salt and dehydrated vegetables and tastes great on potatoes. If I slice the potatoes very thinly, I can have my own, home-made chips.

Yes, this takes time, but ultimately, I have spent less than I would have on store bought chips and I have a high quality product. So my advice to you is don’t spend money on big brands who are trying to convince you of a “value” in their products, spend money on quality and you will out!

No comments: